Body words A - E

Consider the following words and expressions that contain body parts. Can you guess what they mean?

1. This suit cost me an arm and a leg.

A: It was very expensive.
B: It was a bargain.
C: I bought it in the sales.

2. I didn't want to go but Amanda twisted my arm.

A: to persuade sb to do stg they do not want to
B: to punish sb because they don't do what you ask them to do
C: to pay sb to do stg for you

3. Would you back me up if I put the suggestion to the boss?

A: to support or encourage
B: to disagree with sb
C: to try to prevent sb from doing stg

4. She wants to get her own back on her ex-partner for his cheating.

A: to take revenge on sb
B: to forget that you ever met sb
C: to forgive sb

5. Linda proves that you can be beautiful and brainy.

A: witty
B: intelligent
C: hard working

6. They expect me to work until 9pm without paying me overtime. What a cheek!

A: a surprise
B: bad behaviour
C: a pain

7. Tell me what happened. I'm all ears.

A: I have forgotten what you said.
B: I'm listening to you attentively.
C: I won't repeat this to anyone.

8. They don't always see eye to eye but they love each other.

A: to have things in common with sb
B: to be in agreement about stg
C: to spend a lot of time with sb

9. I knew they were cheating but I decided to turn a blind eye.

A: to watch sb or stg carefully
B: to take notes of what you see
C: to pretend not to notice stg

10. A lot of people raised their eyebrows when he was appointed manager.

A: to be pleased
B: to be furious
C: to be surprised



Comments

Montse said…
Hi, all!! I'm going to bet:
1.A
2.A
3.A
4.A
5.B
6.B
7.B
8.B
9.C
10.C
José said…
Hello,

Congratulations master Montse, your work is okay. You have every response well apart from 4 and 5. LOL. I’m going to bet too. As far as I know, 4B and 5A. As always I’ll make a mistake. I hope the best teacher doesn’t lean to female side, I know him.

See you.
Graham said…
Dare I say it but Montse is right!

You have every response right...
I hope the best teacher doesn’t support the female side.


What's the difference between lean and support???
Montse said…
Hi,all!!
"Dare I say it"...what an interesting expresion!! How would you translate it into Spanish, Graham?
I think that José knows to admit a defeat...LOL.
Regarding the difference between lean and support, I'm not going to bet this time..I'm not clear about it.
I look forward to hearing what restaurant will be the next to meet :-)
José said…
Thanks very much Graham.

I’m going to tell you two examples about lean and support. First: José leans his head when he takes a nap on the sofa. Second: The best teacher supports Montse when he checks her exercises.

See you.
Graham said…
Hi Montse and José,

I suppose you'd say "me atrevería a decir" - when saying something that some people, like José, might not like to hear.

... expression. ... I think that José knows how to admit defeat.

I like José's explanation about the difference between "lean" and "support".

I'd just add that "lean" is more physical while "support" is similar to "help" or "prefer".
Graham said…
Hi Montse and José,

I suppose you'd say "me atrevería a decir" - when saying something that some people, like José, might not like to hear.

... expression. ... I think that José knows how to admit defeat.

I like José's explanation about the difference between "lean" and "support".

I'd just add that "lean" is more physical while "support" is similar to "help" or "prefer".
Roberto said…
1-A
2-A
3-A
4-A
5-B
6-B
7-B
8-B
9-C
10-C
A piece of cake!.