Noisy neighbour faces the music

Source: Amir Doreh on Unsplash 

Pianist faces jail term over “psychological damage” caused to neighbor

A professional pianist is facing a seven-and-a-half-year jail sentence for playing her instrument eight hours a day, five days a week, according to her former neighbor in Puigcerdà, Girona. Prosecutors are seeking the sentence for crimes against the environment — acoustic contamination — and the psychological damage caused to Sonia B. between 2003 and 2007. Defense lawyers for the musician, Laia M., have asked that the case be thrown out, describing the complaint as “completely disproportionate.”

Both the defendant and her parents, who face the same sentence as accessories to the fact, deny the claims of Sonia B., who in turn stated that not only did Laia M.’s mother enter her apartment and concur that the sound of the piano was louder there than in her own home, but also that Laia M. had to be restrained by her father while attempting to hit the defendant. 

Medical reports state that Sonia B. suffered hearing damage, panic attacks and problems during her pregnancy as a result of the “environmental auditory stress.” Sonia B. and her family moved to Galicia in 2007.

Laia M. refutes the charges, stating that she could not have been playing the piano when Sonia B. claims, as she was studying outside of Puigcerdà. The defendants also said that they had attempted to soundproof the room containing the piano. 

In addition to the sentence, prosecutors are seeking to have Laia M. banned from any profession that involves a piano for four years, a fine of 10,800 euros and damages of 9,900 euros. The trial is expected to conclude this week.

 
Vocabulary:

to face -

a jail term -

a sentence -

according to -

former (adj) -



to throw out -

a complaint -


a defendant -

to deny -

a claim -


in turn -

to restrain -

a charge -


to soundproof -

in addition to -

to ban -


a fine -

damages -

a trial -



Grammar Points:

"Not only did Laia M.’s mother enter her apartment and concur that the sound of the piano was louder there than in her own home, but also that Laia M. had to be restrained by her father while attempting to hit the defendant."

See other linkers for adding information.


"The trial is expected to conclude this week."

See other passives of reporting verbs.


Idiom:

to face the music - is to accept punishment or criticism for something that you have done wrong.
  • Instead of going home and facing the music, her husband went with his friends to the pub.
  • I think you'd better admit your mistake and just face the music.

What do you think should happen in this case?

Are you bothered by noise? What noise gets on your nerves?


Comments

Roberto said…
Hi!.I understand the problems with the noise (I live in a noisy neighborhood), but I think seven years is too much!. I find the Blog very interesting, by the way...
Graham said…
Hi Roberto,

I lived for six years in Malasaña - I don't know how I managed that long. The noise drove me away in the end.

Where I live now is quieter but I still suffer from noise. Dogs barking continually, neighbours moving furniture, drums, parties and I even have an opera singer in my building.

I think the pianist should get seven years hard labour:-)


I'm glad you like the blog. I hope you make good use of it.
Anonymous said…
Good evening Graham: I inform you that the tried pianist on the Court of Barcelona has been acquitted. The trial was recently and the Court has declared that the defendants are not guilty by acoustic pollution and injuries. The Public Prosecutor demanded twenty months of prison. The pianist had been accused by complainant of sleep disorder, nervous disorder, anxiety, unease, panic and pregnancy´s problems. The verdict said that the judges thought there was exaggeration about duration and vehemence of acoustic pollution and that there was bad relationship between two neighbours. From the Court. José.
Graham said…
Hi José,

There is no justice. It must have been torture to live next door to her.

If I had been her neighbour, I'd have got my revenge.


I inform you that the pianist who was tried in the Court of Barcelona has been acquitted. The trial was recent and the Court has declared that the defendants are not guilty of acoustic pollution and injuries. The pianist had been accused by the complainant of causing sleep disorder, nervous disorder, anxiety, unease, panic and problems with her pregnancy. The verdict said that the judges thought there was exaggeration about the duration and vehemence of acoustic pollution and that there was a bad relationship between the two neighbours.


See you Thursday.

Anonymous said…
I agree with you Graham. Is you want to go to a disco at the weekend, came my home and you haven´t to pay a ticket. My neigtbour is like ape, but deaf. I understand Roberto. See you tomorrow. José.
Graham said…
José,

You should get your revenge on your noisy neighbour. If I were you, I'd buzz at his door early in the morning. It might not resolve the problem but you'd feel better.

If you want to go to a disco at the weekend, come to my home and you don't have to pay a ticket. My neigtbour is like an ape but deaf.

That's offensive to apes. They are gentle creatures unless angered.


Anonymous said…
Okay Graham. Other neighbours call to the local pólice, to they feel better. I think. See you. José.
Graham said…
José,

I've tried calling the police too but only once did they respond to the call.

The "remedy" that gives me the most satisfaction is throwing rotten fruit and eggs at them. I am really satisfied when I am on target.

I think that other neighbours call the local police to feel better / so that they feel better.
barbara said…
I agreed with the plaintiff, I think there are limits and time to play piano, and I guess if there is a trail they should have proofs about the sound. It is hope the neighbor respect some living rules to not disturbing.
Not only any sound could feel uncomfortable after a time, but also it could be annoyed when is unexpected.
Neighbor can be very annoyed, my neighbor has the TV really loudly at the night, besides my bedroom is followed by her living room; my other neighbor put the radio on Friday that I can hear what they are listening, and saying. And the neighbor down smoke in the toilet and all my house smell like cigar. So I just expect one day they have a neighbor so bad as them.
Graham said…
Evening Barbara,

I remember in a flat where I used to live, my bedroom would smell of coffee whenever the neighbours made one - not as bad as smoke I admit. It's just something you have to put up with - no way can you complain about it.


I agree with the plaintiff, I think there are limits and a time to play piano, and I guess if there is a trial they should have proof (uncountable!) about the sound. It is hoped that the neighbor will respect some rules so as not to disturb others.

Not only could any sound get annoying after a time, but it could also be annoying when it is unexpected.

Neighbors can be very annoying, my neighbor has the TV on really loud at night. Not only that, my bedroom is next to her living room; my other neighbor puts the radio on on Friday so that I can hear what they are listening to, and saying. And the neighbor downstairs smokes in the toilet and all my house smells of cigars. So I just hope that one day they have a neighbor as bad as them.
Anonymous said…
So difficult, I always have problems if I have the same subject in the sentence I don´t know when I can´s split the subjetc.
Graham said…
Hello Barbara,

I'll try to clear up any doubts you have in class.

See you in a bit.