A wartime love story

Statue commemorates wartime lovers separated for 60 years

Italian prisoner of war and Ukrainian forced labourer were separated after falling in love during the second world war

It may go down as one of the longest love affairs in history – and certainly one with the most inauspicious beginnings, starting as it did in a concentration camp more than 70 years ago in Austria.

It was there that Luigi Pedutto met Mokryna Yurzuk. He was an Italian prisoner of war, she was a Ukrainian forced labourer with a young daughter born in the Nazi camp near the town of Sankt Pölten, northeastern Austria. She brought him food, he sewed hats and clothes to impress her in return. They fell in love, but when the camp was liberated in 1945, Yurzuk was sent back to Ukraine. Pedutto was not allowed to join her.

Decades passed. Pedutto worked as a financier in Italy and Yurzuk as a collective farmer in Ukraine. Both married and had children, but never forgot their wartime love. Finally the two were reunited in 2004, thanks to a TV show in Moscow. Now the pair have their own statue in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, in a park near the so-called "lovers' bridge", a popular destination for people to confess their love to one another. 

After unveiling the monument, Pedutto *couldn't help crying. "When I was nine years old, my teacher told me: remember, for all the tough times in your life, you will be rewarded some day or other," he said. "I feel like I've been rewarded for all I endured." As he spoke, bystanders offered good wishes and women asked him to give them a kiss "for luck in love". 

Yurzuk was too weak to travel to Kiev for the ceremony, but her relatives at the event said she was happy that her love would become a symbol for other couples. Yurzuk's granddaughter, Galyna Yemeliyanova, said her grandmother often retold her love story, but never dreamt of meeting her Italian boyfriend again. 

Not being able to travel to the USSR, with the country cut off by the iron curtain, Pedutto kept Yurzuk's photograph and a small medallion with a strand of her hair. At last he ventured to make a move and wrote a letter to the international television show Wait for Me, which helps those who have been separated to find each other. It worked. "I sought her for 62 years, and at last I found her," Pedutto said. 

Yurzuk visited Pedutto in Italy and was even made an honorary citizen of his home town, Castel San Lorenzo in Salerno. But she didn't accept his marriage proposal, despite both of them being widowed. "When I proposed to her, she just laughed," Pedutto said. 

"They found each other too late," said Yemeliyanova. "Both have their children, grandchildren and don't want to travel to a foreign land." 

So their relationship remains at the courtship stage. Pedutto brings Yurzuk homemade olive oil and parmesan to prepare her Italian spaghetti. He also helps her with chores, just as he did all those years ago in Austria. 

He is talkative and romantic, while she is reserved and down to earth. They speak in a strange mix of Ukrainian, Italian and Russian, but usually understand each other without words. Yurzuk is waiting for Pedutto to visit again in August, when the two plan to go to Kiev together to see the monument immortalising their love. 

He still hasn't given up hope of persuading her to marry, said Maria Shevchenko, the Ukrainian producer of Wait for Me, who has been following the couple's story for years. "And you can expect anything from this couple," she added, laughing.
 
 Vocabulary:

a labourer -

to go down as -

inauspicious -

to sew -

in return -

to join -

so-called -

can't help -

to unveil -

tough (adj) -

to reward -

to endure -

a bystander -

weak (adj) -

a strand of hair -

to venture to do stg -

to seek (sought, sought) -

foreign (adj) -

courtship (n) -

a chore -

down to earth (adj) -

to give up -


Grammar:

A statue commemorate wartime lovers who were separated for 60 years.

An Italian prisoner of war and a Ukrainian forced labourer were separated after falling in love during the second world war.


What's the difference between for and during?


How long were they separated for?      For 60 years.

When did they fall in love?      During the war.


We use for with durations of time (a week, a fortnight, 5 minutes, 3 months...)

During is followed by nouns (the lesson, the film, the summer holidays...)


Spotlight on Vocabulary:

After unveiling the monument, Pedutto couldn't help crying / couldn't help but cry.

If you can't help doing something, it means that you are not able to control or stop it.


Examples:

A: Stop yawning like that.        B: I can't help it. I'm exhausted.

I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't help laughing I couldn't help but laugh. Her expression was hilarious.


What other love stories do you know?

What do you think is the greatest love story of all time?

Try to complete the lyrics to I can't help falling in love with you.

Comments

Montse said…
Hi, Graham. How are you?. I hope you feel better. I think my last comment was lost… In it I told you that you’re the second English teacher I know that suffered appendicitis. So, there must be something wrong with English appendices. We can meet for a coffee when you come back to work, before the classes finishes, if you want.



a labourer – un obrero

to go down as – considerarse como

inauspicious – desfavorable, adverso.

to sew - coser

in return – en agradecimiento, a cambio

to join – unir, unirse

so-called – asĂ­ llamado

can't help – no poder evitar

to unveil – desvelar, descubir

tough (adj) – duro, resistente, difĂ­cil (en este caso)

to reward - recompensar

to endure – sufir, padecer, sobrevivir, aguantar, tolerar

a bystander – espectardor, transeĂşnte

weak (adj) - débil

a strand of hair – hebra, hilo,(in this case: una mecha de pelo)

to venture to do stg – atreverse a hacer algo

to seek (sought, sought) - buscar

foreign (adj) - extranjero

courtship (n) - noviazgo

a chore – tarea rutinaria

down to earth (adj) – con los pies en la tierra

to give up – rendirse

Se usa “during” para referirse al tiempo o al momento en que se desarrolla una acciĂłn y contesta a la pregunta When…?

“For” se utiliza cuando se especifica la duraciĂłn de la acciĂłn y contesta a la pregunta How long…?
Graham said…
Hi Montse,

I'm still off sick. It's coming up for a month since I had the operation.

I think you have translated the words correctly. Did you know most of them already / Could you guess the meaning from the context?

I like your definitions of for/during - I might use them in class from now on :-)

Let's meet up one morning this month. I'll let you know when I can.





Montse said…
Hi, Graham. I’ve been reading English books lately and I can tell how my vocabulary grows step by step. There are words that I can guess by the context but I prefer to look them up to confirm its meaning.
Feel free to use the definitions of for /during, they aren’t mine. I had trouble to convey that I meant so I looked it on internet. I really like them too.
The guys send you regards and we all hope you feel better.
Graham said…
Hi Montse,

My doctor told me I could go back to work. This week will be really tough.

There are words that I can guess from the context but I prefer to look them up to confirm their meaning.

I had trouble conveying what I meant so I looked it up on internet.


See you soon.