"Suspended coffee"

Buy a coffee for someone who can't afford it: The new donation scheme coming to cafes in the UK

  • 'Suspended coffee' scheme taking off as big firms look to get involved

  •  Idea began in Naples, Italy, and is quickly spreading across the globe

  •  John Sweeney, a plumber from Cork, Ireland, coordinating social networking campaign

It doesn't sound as enticing as a cappuccino, flat white or latte, but a new beverage called the 'suspended coffee' is set to take cafes across the country by storm.

In a concept born in Naples, Italy, caffeine drinkers not only place their own regular order, they also request a second drink for someone who cannot afford to pay for their own.

Vocabulary:

to afford -

to take off (a business, an idea) -

to spread -

a plumber -

enticing (adj) -

a beverage -

to be set to

to take (the country) by storm -

to request -

to aim at -

the homeless -

out of work -

broke (adj) -

so far -

to sign up -

good faith -

unlikely -

needy (adj) -

to set up (a company) -

to display -

in devolopment -

according to -

to praise -

to look into stg -



What do you think of the idea? Would you buy a "suspended coffee"?


Comments

José said…
Hi Graham,

I have read this post “Suspended coffee” and I don’t understand it very well. I can see the source in the Daily Mail and I think the “Suspended coffee” scheme is a good idea, but if I want to put it into practice I don’t know how. It is a new beverage and I order it in a restaurant like a second drink to give for someone who can’t pay it, please, is it correct? How can I carry out it? Is a company that sends it to the homeless, out of work and broke people? I praise this idea if the company does it in good faith, but I have a lot of doubts. Do the English practise “Suspended coffee”? We should talk about it in the next class, please.

See you.
Graham said…
Hi José,

This post is from 3 years ago. I wonder if "Suspended Coffee" is still around. I suspect that it was just another passing fad.

As far as I understand, homeless and poor people could enter a café to get a drink that had been paid for by a previous customer.


... It is a new beverage and I order it in a restaurant like a second drink to give to someone who can't afford one. How do I go about it? (carry it out - when a Phrasal can be separated, the pronoun goes in the middle. carry out: a survey, a plan , an experiment, research = do)
Is it a company that sends it to the homeless, out of work and broke people? I praise this idea if the company does it in good faith, but I have a lot of doubts.


I agree with your last comment. It's all good publicity and a money earner for the business.