See v Look (at) v Watch


Do you know the difference between see, look at and watch?

They all talk about different ways we use our eyes.

When we say see, we are normally talking about things we can't avoid. As soon as we open our eyes we see things:
  • I saw my ex-girlfriend at a party last weekend.
  • I can't find my keys. Have you seen them anywhere?
When we say look, we are talking about things we see with an intention, usually for a short time:
  • Look at the board! Can you find the mistakes in these sentences?
  • Look! It's snowing.
When we say watch, we are talking about things we intend to see, usually things that are moving or changing:
  • I didn't watch the news on TV last night. I was too busy.
  • Are you going to watch the football match tonight?
Exception: with films we usually use see not watch, as we refer to those that we have already seen or ask if we have seen a certain one.

Complete the sentences with one of the above verbs in the correct form:
  1. I can't ___ this movie - it makes me feel sick.
  2. Can you ___ that sign over there? What does it say?
  3. I ___ the newspaper today. I wonder what's happening in the world.
  4. I hate being ___ when I'm cooking.
  5. ___ me when I'm talking to you.
  6. ___ you ever ___ "Gone with the Wind"? It's the best film ever made.
  7. ___ the time. Hurry up! We're going to be late.
  8. We ___ your neighbour when we were at the post office.
  9. Would you mind ___ the children while I go to the shop?
  10. You should always ___ left and right before you cross the road

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Graham!!Following your advice i have had a look your blog and i am doing some exercices...Here you are some of them about the confusing words See, looks and watch(it´s very interesting):
1. I can't watch this movie - it makes me feel sick.
2. Can you see that sign over there? What does it say?
3. I haven´t seen the newspaper today. I wonder what's happening in the world.
4. I hate being watching when I'm cooking.
5. Look at me when I'm talking to you.
6. Have you ever seen "Gone with the Wind"? It's the best film ever made.
7. Look at the time. Hurry up! We're going to be late.
8. We saw your neighbour when we were at the post office.
9. Would you mind whatch the children while I go to the shop?
10. You should always look at left and right before you cross the road.
Blanca Sanchez
Graham said…
Hi Blanca!

Now that you have internet at home, I'm sure you'll make good use of the blog.

Hi Graham!!Following your advice, I have had a look your blog and I am doing some exercises...Here are some of them about the confusing words See, looks and watch(it´s very interesting):

4. I hate being watched when I'm cooking.

9. Would you mind watching the children while I go to the shop?

10. You should always look left and right before you cross the road.

Well done!
Unknown said…
Hi Graham, I´m Marta!
I've read this post and now I´m going to do this exercises about see, look (at) and wach.

1. I can´t watch this movie-it makes me feel sick
2. Can you see that sign over there? What does it say?
3. I haven´t seen the newspaper today. I wonder what´s happening in the world
4. I hate being watching when I´m cooking
5. Look at me when I´m talking to you
6. Have you ever seen ''Gone with the Wind''? It´s the best film ever made
7. Look at the time. Hurry up! We´re going to be late
8. We saw your neighbour when we are at the post office
9. Would you mind watching the children while I go to the shop?
10. You should always look at left and right before you cross the road
Anonymous said…
Hi Graham!.
I complete the sentences and put only the missing verb :
1.- watch.
2.-look at.
3.- I haven't seen.
4.-seen.
5.- see.
6.- Have you ever seen.
7.- look at.
8.- saw
9.-watch.
10.- look at

I put a comment in the post "listen v hear"
but I think that isn't publish.
Thank you for your post. There are very useful.
Graham said…
Hi Marta and ??

I wonder who the last comment is from.

2. Can you see that sign over there? What does it say? (see = ability)

4. I hate being watched when I´m cooking = I hate people watching me as I cook

5. Look at me when I´m talking to you

9. Would you mind watching the children while I go to the shop?

10. You should always look left and right before you cross the road. (look at stg/sb)


Well done to both!

Anonymous said…
Hi Graham!It's Inés
1. watch
2. see
3. seen
4. being watched
5. Look at
6. Have your ever seen
7. Look at
8. saw
9. watching
10. look

See you on Wednesday!
Graham said…
Hi Inés,

As far as I can see, they are all correct apart from:

3. I haven't seen the newspaper today. I wonder what's happening in the world.

See you tomorrow.