EF Int Plus Revision

Part 1 Vocabulary

Choose A, B, C or D to complete the sentence.

1. Would you mind looking _______ the dog while I’m away?

A. for                         B. at
C. after                      D. over

2. I look __________ my father because he is a hard-working, honest man.

A. down to                B. up to
C. up for                   D: down over

3. Could you _____________ this form and hand it in next week?

A. write in               B. write down
C. fill up                  D. fill in

4. I'm really looking _____________ on holiday at Easter.

A. for to go               B. forward to go
C. going away           D. forward to going

5. He always ___________ late for meetings.

A. turns up            B. turns out
C. gets to              D. gets into


Complete the following with one word.

6. You need to __________ up your mind. He's waiting for an answer.

7. Don't they _______ on? I thought they were friends.

8. I was __________ up in a small town next to the sea. It was an idyllic childhood.

9. We are __________ out of milk. Could you buy another carton when you are out?

10. Turn it _______. I can't hear a thing.



Choose the correct word(s)  A, B, C or D to complete the sentence.

11. She's so ____________. I wish she'd stop telling me what to do all the time.

A. outrageous           B. witty
C. bossy                   D. moody

12. I can't believe that. Are you ____________ my ______ ?

A. taking / leg       B. pulling / head
C. pulling / leg       D. taking / arm

13. She can hardly speak. She has a _______ ________.

A. sore throat       B. pain throat
C. hurt mouth       D. neck ache

14. Do you have a hankie? I have a very ____________ nose.

A. cough           B. dizzy
C. runny            D. sneeze

15. The kids are ______________ on that cartoon. They never miss it.

A. fond          B. addicted
C. mad          D. hooked

Are the following words in bold right or wrong? Correct those that are wrong.

16. I was absolutely hungry. I hadn't eaten anything all day.

17. His maiden name was "carrot head" because of his ginger hair.

18. Don't puncture here; it's too dangerous. There are too many curves on this road.

19. A: May I open the window? B: I'd rather you didn't.

20. He's so impolite. He never says please or thank you.


Complete the words in the following sentences.

21. For a song to be a hit, I think a c_______ t______ is more important than the lyrics.

22. Be careful how you speak to her. She is very s___________ and she might start crying.

23. I have a sw________ ankle so I need to keep my feet up.

24. She was very u______ when she didn't get the job. She really wanted to get it.

25. A: Wash your hands - they are f_______. B: I have been working in the garden.


Explain the difference between the following words. You can give examples.

26. fun / funny

27. look like / take after

28. On the other hand / What's more

29. borrow / lend

30. raise / rise

Comments

Montse said…
Hi, Graham. I know this exercise is not for me but, you know, I like trying it. There are some questions that I’ve not been able to answer.

Would you mind looking after the dog while I’m away?
A. for B. at
C. after D. over
2. I look up to my father because he is a hard-working, honest man.
A. down to B. up to
C. up for D: down over
3. Could you fill in this form and hand it in next week?
A. write in B. write down
C. fill up D. fill in
4. I'm really looking forward to going on holiday at Easter.
A. for to go B. forward to go
C. going away D. forward to going
5. He always turns up late for meetings.
A. turns up B. turns out
C. gets to D. gets into

Complete the following with one word.

6. You need to make up your mind. He's waiting for an answer.
7. Don't they get on? I thought they were friends.
8. I was brought up in a small town next to the sea. It was an idyllic childhood.
9. We are running out of milk. Could you buy another carton when you are out?
10. Turn it up. I can't hear a thing.

Choose the correct word(s) A, B, C or D to complete the sentence.

11. She's so bossy. I wish she'd stop telling me what to do all the time.
A. outrageous B. witty
C. bossy D. moody
12. I can't believe that. Are you pulling my leg?
A. taking / leg B. pulling / head
C. pulling / leg D. taking / arm
13. She can hardly speak. She has a sore throat.
A. sore throat B. pain throat
C. hurt mouth D. neck ache
14. Do you have a hankie? I have a very runny nose.
A. cough B. dizzy
C. runny D. sneeze
15. The kids are hooked on that cartoon. They never miss it.
A. fond B. addicted
C. mad D. hooked

Are the following words in bold right or wrong? Correct those that are wrong.

16. I was absolutely starving. I hadn't eaten anything all day.
17. His nickname was "carrot head" because of his ginger hair.
18. Don't puncture here; it's too dangerous. There are too many curves on this road. (I don’t find another verb to match here)
19. A: May I open the window? B: I'd rather you didn't.
20. He's so impolite. He never says please or thanks you.

Complete the words in the following sentences.

21. For a song to be a hit, I think a c_______ t______ is more important than the lyrics.
22. Be careful how you speak to her. She is very sensitive and she might start crying.
23. I have a swerve ankle so I need to keep my feet up.
24. She was very u______ when she didn't get the job. She really wanted to get it.
25. A: Wash your hands - they are filthy. B: I have been working in the garden.

Explain the difference between the following words. You can give examples.

26. fun / funny
Fun is something enjoyable, eg.: There are a lot of fun things to do in summer.
Funny is something that makes you laugh, eg.: That joke is very funny.
27. look like / take after
Look like means somebody has the same features that other person.
Look after means somebody is similar to other person in the features and character.
28. On the other hand / What's more
I know the expression “On the one hand…but on the other hand” (On the one hand I’d like to go to Argentina but on the other hand it’s very expensive)
The restaurant is really good and what’s more, it’s very cheap.
29. borrow / lend
Lend: somebody gives you something for a time (He lends me a book last month)
Borrow: You receive someone’s something with the intention of giving it back (Can I borrow your car?)
30. raise / rise ( I don’t have clear what the difference is)
Anonymous said…
Hello Graham!!
I send you the answers of my test.

1.c
2.b
3.d
4.d
5.a
6.MAKE
7.GET
8.GROW OR ING
9.RUN
10.DOWN
11.c
12.c or a maybe both are right.
13.a
14.C
15.D
16.STARVING
17.NICKNAME
18.GET A PUNCTURE
19.MAYBE THE CUESTION MORE POLITE, DO YOU MIND IF I OPEN DE WINDOW?
20.RUDE
21.CATCHY TUNE
22.SENSITIVE
23.SWOLLEN
24.UPSET
25.FILTHY

FUN/FUNNY = FUN IS PARA DESCRIBIR ALGO Y FUNNY AQUE QUE TE HACE REIR.

LOOK LIKE pareserse en apariencia/LOOK AFTER= en personalidad

ON THE OTHER HAND, is to make contrasting points and WHATS MORE IS to add more points to the some topic.

BORROW PEDIR PRESTADO, LEND PRESTAR.

RAISE SUBIR CON CONTROL
RICE, AUMENTAR SIN CONTROL COMO AMANECER.

ANd now I going to study..a bit late but..with this wonderfull weekend, I had any energy to do it, because the last week it was horrible and stressful.
sEE YOU TOMORROW, AND THANKS FOR EVERYTHIN.
bEGOÑA
Anonymous said…
It is Luci, I did on a paper,i will give you tomorrow¡¡ thanks
Graham said…
Hi Montse:

It seems my laptop is kaput! I can only reply to you on weekdays. Keep leaving comments; I will get round to seeing them sooner or later.

You did this test really well despite not having studied the Int+ material.

18. Don't OVERTAKE here....

21. a CATCHY TUNE

23. I have a SWOLLEN ankle...

24. UPSET

25. look like ..the SAME features AS .... TAKE AFTER (more for character)

29. He LENT me a book last month.

30. He raised his hand. The government raised taxes. RAISE + OBJECT

The sun rises at 6. Unemployment is rising. (no object)

See confusing words - there is a post about it there.
Graham said…
OK Lucia!

I have also completed the test on grammar. We might do it in class tomorrow.
Graham said…
Begoña,

I've just published your answers now because for some reason it arrived as spam.

Anyway, we corrected everything in class so there's no need for me to do it here.
Anonymous said…
Dear Graham I did the exercise and I correct it with Monse and your answers.
Best regards
A Merino
Graham said…
How did you get on, Agatha? Full marks?

Hope you are enjoying mother's day.
Anonymous said…
Hello Graham. I'm Borja from your intensive morning Group
1.c
2.b
3.d
4.b
5.b
6.make
7.get
8.grown
9.running
10.up
11.c
12.c
13.a
14.c
15.d
16.Right
17.nickname
18.Don't have a puncture here...
19.Right
20.umpolite
21. catchy tune
22.Sensitive
23.swored
24.upset
25.
26.You are fun and some situation is funny
27.You look like someone because you are pretty the same. You take after someone before you in your own family.
28.On the other hand is the opposite and what's more is something plus what you have just said.
29.You borrow something from someone, you just take it. You lend something to someone, you give it to him/her.
30. Raise is the same as increasing and rise is to get higher. I don't know how to explain well but it is not the same to increase your level of english (raise) than to rise up your english knowledge.
Graham said…
Hi Borja!

You are the only Borja who I have this year.

All right apart from:

5. A - turn up = arrive, appear

8. I was brought up in a small town = I grew up in a small town.

16. I was absolutely starving. Absolutely + extreme adjectives (you haven't studied them yet)

18. Don't speed here....

20. Impolite is right.

23. A swollen ankle

25. Filthy = very dirty

26. *Fun = you like stg / sb, stg / sb funny makes you laugh

27. Look like means you are equally pretty or equally ugly LOL take after refers more to character.

30. *Raise + object. Rise (no object)

*see Confusing Words under Labels


Well done!