Borrow v Lend

Everybody still gets confused when using borrow or lend but really it is quite simple.

If you lend money you give it to someone whereas if you borrow money you take it from someone (with their permission, of course!). If you borrow money you have to give it back while if you lend money you should get it back.

Complete the following with the correct form of borrow or lend.
  1. I left my notebook at home. Can I ___ a piece of paper?
  2. I don't have anything to wear to the party. Can you ___ me something nice?
  3. He is always ___ things but never gives them back.
  4. Since the start of the crisis, banks have stopped ___ to many people and businesses.
  5. I remember the days when you could ___ some sugar from your neighbour.
  6. I ___ it to him ages ago but he hasn't given it back yet.
  7. A: I've lost my wallet. B: Don't worry! I ___ you some money.
  8. Would you mind ___ a hand to tidy up the kitchen?
  9. Have you ever ___ something and never gotten it back?
  10. Is it OK if I ___ your husband for 10 minutes? Maybe he can fix my TV.

Library book returned 70 years on

A library book borrowed on the eve of World War II has been returned to an east London council - 70 years overdue.

Iris Chadwick, 83, borrowed the score of the musical Rose Marie from Cubitt Town Library, Tower Hamlets, in 1939.

The library's 10p per day penalty for overdue books would equate to a fine of more than £2,500.

But Mrs Chadwick, who lived on the Isle of Dogs before moving to her current home in Dorset, was relieved when the council agreed to waive any fine.

While the book sat on her piano stool communism rose and fell, England won the football World Cup and man set foot on the moon.

But Mrs Chadwick's conscience finally got the better of her when she encountered it while clearing out her house.

She said: "I was going to take it to the charity shop, but thought it still belongs to the library so perhaps I should check.

"I've hung on to the book for so long because it was part of my childhood.

"It brings back memories of the teacher who caught me playing the piano and instead of *telling me off, told me to go to the library and borrow the music."

Tower Hamlets Council has now introduced a three-month amnesty for late library books.

Councillor Rofique Ahmed, said: "It just goes to show it's never too late to return a book."


Phrasal Verbs:

"Instead of telling me off, my teacher told me to go to the library and borrow the music."

tell somebody off: to speak angrily to someone because they have done something wrong
  • I got told off by the boss this morning for arriving late. / My boss told me off this morning for arriving late.
  • Nowadays parents don't tell their children off when they misbehave. / Children are never told off by their parents nowadays.
Popular saying (from Shakespeare's Hamlet):

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry." 




                         

Comments

Marta said…
I have learnt the differences between "lend/borrow" once in London. It was the first time I borrowed a book in the library.
Graham said…
Remember to give it back on time otherwise you'll get a fine.
Montse said…
Hi, Graham.

1. I left my notebook at home. Can I borrow a piece of paper?
2. I don't have anything to wear to the party. Can you lend me something nice?
3. He is always borrowing things but never gives them back.
4. Since the start of the crisis, banks have stopped lend to many people and business.
5. I remember the days when you could borrow some sugar from your neighbour.
6. I lent it to him ages ago but he hasn't given it back yet.
7. A: I've lost my wallet. B: Don't worry! I lend you some money.
8. Would you mind lend a hand to tidy up the kitchen?
9. Have you ever borrowed something and never gotten it back?
10. Is it OK if I borrow your husband for 10 minutes? Maybe he can fix my TV.

I think if I'd been that woman I wouldn't have got the score back. After so many years...I would have keep it.
Graham said…
Montse:

In only one did you you confuse lend and borrow, the others are just grammatical mistakes.

4. Since the start of the crisis, banks have STOPPED LENDING to many people and businesses.
7. A: I've lost my wallet. B: Don't worry! I'LL LEND you some money.
8. Would you MIND LENDING a hand to tidy up the kitchen?
9. Have you ever LENT something and never GOTTEN it BACK?


.. if I'd been that woman, I wouldn't have GIVEN the score back...

Have you ever kept something that you borrowed from a friend?

I once asked for a book back, that a friend of a friend had borrowed, years later.
Anonymous said…
Hi Graham! I´m here again, doing all my homework like the good student that I am :P (Mss. Frye)

1. I left my notebook at home. Can I borrow you a piece of paper?

2. I don't have anything to wear to the party. Can you lend me something nice?

3. He is always borrowing things but never gives them back.

4. Since the start of the crisis, banks have stopped lending to many people and businesses.

5. I remember the days when you could borrow some sugar from your neighbor.

6. I lent it to him ages ago but he hasn't given it back yet.

7. A: I've lost my wallet. B: Don't worry! I lend you some money.

8. Would you mind lend me a hand to tidy up the kitchen?

9. Have you ever lent something and never gotten it back?

10. Is it OK if I borrow your husband for 10 minutes? Maybe he can fix my TV.
Graham said…
I'm impressed, Andrea. Try to get your classmates to follow your good example.

1. I left my notebook at home. Can I borrow a piece of paper / Can you lend me a piece of paper?

7. A: I've lost my wallet. B: Don't worry! I'll lend you some money.

8. Would you mind lending me a hand to tidy up the kitchen?

Well done!