Start loving pigeons!

Pepi

Source: You Tube (scattycats) Key Words: Benny hill pigeons

In my opinion pigeons have an undeserved, bad reputation. They are thought of as disease-carrying pests. I find them fascinating creatures and I think it's time we saw them in a different light. I love feeding them, usually much to the annoyance of people nearby. I find it relaxing and it amuses me how they behave. I even find their cooing a pleasant sound.

Consider the following the next time you see one:

In both World Wars the pigeon saved countless human lives by carrying messages across enemy lines. Pigeons were carried on ships in convoys and in the event of a U-boat attack, a messenger pigeon was released with details of the location of the sinking ship. As a result, many survivors were rescued. Mobile pigeon lofts were set up behind the trenches in the First World War from which pigeons often had to fly through enemy fire and poison gas to get their messages home. The birds played a vital role in intelligence gathering.

The earliest large scale communication network using pigeons as messengers was established in Syria and Persia about 5th Century BC. Much later in the 12th Century AD the city of Baghdad and all the main towns and cities in Syria and Egypt were linked by messages carried by pigeons. This was the sole source of communication. In Roman times the pigeon was used to carry results of sporting events such as the Olympic Games, and this is why white doves are released at the start of the Games today. In England, prior to the days of telegraphs, pigeons were often taken to soccer matches and released to carry home the result of the game.

Many religious groups including Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs feed pigeons for religious reasons. Some Sikhs feed pigeons because they believe that when they are reincarnated they will never go hungry if they have fed pigeons in their previous life. Other religious groups in India believe that when a person dies, his or her soul assumes the form of a bird (normally a pigeon) and by feeding birds they are caring for the souls of their departed ancestors. The pigeon is revered in India with huge flocks numbering many thousands of birds being fed daily at Hindu temples in town and city centres throughout the country. In the Christian religion the pigeon is both a symbol of peace and of the Holy Spirit.

The feral pigeon mates for life and can breed up to 8 times a year, bringing two young into the world each time. The frequency of breeding is dictated by the abundance of food. The eggs take 18/19 days to hatch with both parents incubating the eggs. Both parents feed the young with a special ‘pigeon milk’ that is regurgitated and fed to the young. At approximately 2 months of age the young are ready to leave the nest. This gives the young pigeon an advantage over many other species of bird which abandon the nest after 2 or 3 weeks. The pigeon leaves the nest as a relatively mature juvenile, allowing the bird to cope better in the first few days of its life outside of the nest. So this is why you have probably never seen a baby pigeon.

Source: You Tube (South China Morning Post) Kew Words: Most expensive pigeon

A 10-year study carried out by Oxford University concluded that, rather than rely on their in-built compass. Pigeons use roads and motorways to navigate. In some cases, they even changed direction at motorway junctions.

The US coastguard found that pigeons can be trained to save human lives at sea with high success rates. Project Sea Hunt trained a number of pigeons to identify red or yellow life jackets when floating in the water. The pigeons were not only found to be more reliable than humans but they were also much quicker at spotting survivors from a sinking boat.

The pigeon is able to recognise its reflection in a mirror.

For many years, the pigeons in Trafalgar Square were considered a tourist attraction, with street vendors selling packets of seeds for visitors to feed the pigeons. The feeding of the Trafalgar Square pigeons was controversially banned in 2003 by London mayor Ken Livingstone. However, activist groups such as Save the Trafalgar Square Pigeons flouted the ban, feeding the pigeons from a small part of the square that is under the control of Westminster City Council, not the mayor.

A similar controversy ban was imposed in Piazza San Marco in Venice.


What bird or animal amazes you? Or which one annoys you?

Comments

Natalia said…
I used to hate pigeons but it is true that I didn't know all this things about them!
Ok, perhaps only the Spanish pigeons are hideous!
C U
Graham said…
I'd love to be a pigeon fancier though I don't think the neighbours would be too happy.
Paloma said…
Hi Graham: when I was a child I loved pigeons: they were peace symbol, they were beautiful flying...and they called as me. But, years later, I discovered that they were really "disease-carrying pests". Even some pigeons are a bit aggressive. Perhaps this is the product of living in cities.
I love almost animals, except rats cities?, because they are really carriers of many diseases.
See you
Montse said…
Graham, I read de article and I'm sorry but I can't write a comment because of my weekend is being very busy.

See you on Thuesday.
Graham said…
Hi Paloma!

I remember being in Trafalgar square as a child with my arms outstretched and covered in pigeons. I didn't catch any disease. I couldn't do the same thing now as they have banned feeding them.

We have a birdtable and bath in my parents' garden where pigeons (and other birds) feed and drink. Admittedly, I have only seen the little birds wash themselves in the bath.

We awake each morning to find a long row of pigeons patiently awaiting their seed. Surprisingly, we haven't had any complaints from the neighbours yet.

Among all the birds we have visiting our garden, there is a hawk. All the birds disappear into a bush as soon as they spot it. My mother has the job of trying to save them but unfortunately, she is too late for some. She has found the hawk defiantly eating a poor pigeon.

It's great to see nature at work from your own window.

I don't doubt that the pigeons carry some diseases but I think that there is much more chance of catching a disease from a human being.

I also read somewhere that pigeons do not carry bird flu/h1n1 virus. I don't know if it's true or not.

I have never been or seen anyone attacked by a pigeon. On the contrary, I think they live up to their reputation as a bird of peace.

I find them hilarious when they are courting. The male tries so hard to impress the female who pretends not to notice him and plays hard to get.



When I was a child, *I loved pigeons: they were A peace symbol, they were beautiful flying...and they *HAD THE SAME NAME AS ME.

But years later, I discovered that they were really "disease-carrying pests". Even some pigeons are a bit aggressive. Perhaps this is the RESULT of living in cities.

I love *MOST animals, except FOR CITY RATS, because they are really carriers of many diseases.


*You can say: I used to love pigeons.
* They are called pigeon, just like me. (I think your name would translate as dove - the peace symbol. The dove is first mentioned in the bible during the baptism of Christ, though many images of pigeons from long BC have been found).
*You can say: I like almost all animals.


Good work! Take a note of new vocabulary and your mistakes in your notebook.

Enjoy your Sunday!
Graham said…
Hi Montse,

I hope busy means fun. Don't worry, I know you study a lot. I wish all my students followed your example.

I created this post because of what José said about pigeon pie.


Graham, I read THE* article BUT I'm sorry I can't write a comment because I AM very busy THIS WEEKEND.

See you on TUESDAY? THURSDAY?*

*It's funny - so many students write "de" ....

* lol and so many students confuse these days that Thuesday is the perfect solution!
Montse said…
Graham, I laughed very much with my mistakes. I wrote it in a hurry and, eventually,I wrote it in Spanglish.
Graham said…
I make plenty of mistakes in Spanish too. I often get confused with Italian. I don't know if Italish or Spanalian exists.

I laughed A LOT AT my mistakes.

It is better to LAUGH WITH someone than to be LAUGHED AT....
Ana Cuervo said…
Really interésting and very complete information, may be I Will see the Other way tris animals. Thanks for your job!
Graham said…
Hi Ana,

I've never understood why people hate pigeons.

I know I'm not the only one to love pigeons. I follow some groups on Facebook who save and look after them.


..., maybe I will see these animals in a new light. Thanks for your work!

Gus said…
Surely a good behavior with a pigeon in this life will have a favorable effect in another life. I believe that also in this one. It is the law of karma.
It is wonderful the mechanism that racing pigeon have to orient themselves over such long distances and how they do it with such ease and accuracy.
Graham said…
Evening Gus,

I'm getting worried about Pepi - she still can't fly and she just stays in the same spot (even though she has the freedom to move around). She must be very sad as she can't join her pals.

I would like to think that those who inflict suffering on to others pay the price for their actions eventually.

Good behaviour with a pigeon in this life will surely have a favourable effect in another life. I believe that also in this one. It is the law of karma.