Education

Source: NeONBRAND on Unsplash

Education is the knowledge or skills that you learn from a teacher (to educate).
  • I think education standards here aren't as high as in other countries.
  • She is aiming to have a career in education.
  • The PM was educated at the top public school in the country.
  • The Three R's are a crucial element of a child's education
  • I didn't like Physical Education at school. I wasn't good at sports.
Your upbringing is what you learn as a child about behaviour and morality, usually from your parents (to bring somebody up).
  • I couldn't have wished for a better upbringing.
  • He was brought up by his grandmother. / His grandmother brought him up. I don't know what happened to his parents.
  • Most youngsters get involved in crime because of a bad upbringing because they are not well brought-up.
  • I was brought up to respect my elders.
  • She had a strict Catholic upbringing.
What do you think of education standards in Spain now?

Do you think that you received a good education?

How has education changed in the last twenty years?

Describe your upbringing. Was it strict?


What do you think was the main thing that you were brought up to do?



Source: You Tube (mongchilde) Key Words: Pink Floyd brick wall

Another Brick in the Wall

We don't need no education*
We dont need no thought control*
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone*
Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

"Wrong, Do it again!"
"If you don't eat yer (your) meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
"You! Yes, you behind the bike sheds, stand still laddie!"

* should read: "we don't need any education", "we don't need any thought control", "leave those kids alone".

Comments

Paloma said…
Hi Graham:
1- I think that parents believe that children's education is at at school and that can't be because the basic education belongs to parents.
2- Yes, I think that I received a good education both of my parents and the school, although now, many things of these years didn't like me.
3- Fortunately in our country there much more freedom than some years ago and that is good for children's education, but I think that there is less respect for things and people.
4- My upbringing was a bit strict. My parents were strict whit us about studies, parties, friends, etc. and at school they were strict also because my teachers were nuns. They taught me some stupid things, but in general learned enough.
Have good weekend¡
Graham said…
Hi Paloma

Did you read the post about pigeons? You should take an interest because of your name :-)

1- I think that parents believe that children's education is at school and that can't be because BASIC education belongs to parents.

You are right. However, I think that school teachers should insist on basic good manners.

2- Yes, I think that I received a good education FROM BOTH my parents and the school, although LOOKIN BACK NOW, I DIDN'T LIKE many things ABOUT THOSE years.

3- Fortunately in our country THERE IS much more freedom than some years ago and that is good for children's education, but I think that there is less respect for things and people.

I couldn't agree more!

4- My upbringing was a bit strict. My parents were strict with us about studies, parties, friends, etc. and at school they WERE ALSO strict because my teachers were nuns. They taught me some stupid things, but ON THE WHOLE, I learned enough.


Good work, Paloma! Keep it up!
Montse said…
Graham, I read the article.
Graham said…
Did you watch the video?

The strict teacher has a very strong Scottish accent.
Montse said…
Graham, I watched the video but I didn't understand anything that the teacher said. I hope it happened because his strong accent.
When I see images like those I always get goosebumps. I'm sure I woudn't have learnt anything at a school like that.
I think that in Spain the education is just in the opposite side of the video and that's not good to learn, neither. According to the latest statistics we are one of the worst countries in education.
Graham said…
Don't worry, Montse! I wouldn't expect anyone but a Scot to understand the teacher.

I hope it happened BECAUSE OF HIS STRONG ACCENT.

I think that education IN SPAIN is COMPLTELY DIFFERENT FROM THAT of the video and that's NOT good to learn EITHER. (no double negative)

I'm old enough to remember corporal punishment at school. If we misbehaved, we would get the belt or our hands hit with a wooden ruler.