Lemon Tree - Wonder / Present Continuous

Here is a link to three previous posts on the Present Continuous which includes a translation exercise, a song to complete and a cartoon to watch. In the post with the cartoon there is a link to Agenda Web, where you will find hundreds of exercises to choose from.

Here's a song that you will all know but can you complete the lyrics:



Source: You Tube (musiczone365second) Key Words: Fools Lemon Tree

I___(1)____ here in the boring room
It's just another rainy Sunday afternoon
I___(2)____ my time
I got nothing to do
I___(3)____ around
I___(4)____ for you
But nothing ever happens and I wonder

I___(5)____ around in my car
I___(5)____ too fast
I___(5)____ too far
I'd like to change my point of view
I feel so lonely
I___(4)____ for you
But nothing ever happens and I wonder

I wonder how
I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky
And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon-tree
I__(6)_____ my head up and down
I__(6)_____ _______ _______ _______ _______ around
And all that I can see is just another lemon-tree

I___(1)____ here
I miss the power
I'd like to go out taking a shower
But there's a heavy cloud inside my head
I feel so tired
Put myself into bed
While nothing ever happens and I wonder

Isolation is not good for me
Isolation I don't want to sit on the lemon-tree

I____(7)____ around in the desert of joy
Baby anyhow I'll get another toy
And everything will happen and you wonder

I wonder how
I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky
And all that I can see is just another lemon-tree
I___(6)____ my head up and down
I___(6)____ _______ _______ _______ _______ around
And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon-tree
And I wonder, wonder

I wonder how
I wonder why
Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue blue sky
And all that I can see, and all that I can see, and all that I can see
Is just a yellow lemon-tree


Have a go at the same song in Lyrics Training.


Spotlight on Vocabulary:

Wonder is a very common verb.

Use to ask yourself a question (+ question word or + if/whether)
  • I wonder who will win the match on Sunday.
  • I wonder how old she is.
  • I wonder if there is a class next Tuesday.
  • She's wondering whether she made the right decision.
  • He often wonders what his ex-girlfriend is doing now.
  • I wonder where they are gong for their next holiday.
  • I wonder why she did that.

Notice that they take the form of indirect statements:

wonder + question word/if + subject + verb

I wonder why did she marry him.  😡 
I wonder why she married him. 😍

She often wonders where did she go wrong.  😡 
She often wonders where she went wrong. 😍


We often use wonder to make polite requests:
  • I wonder if you could help me translate this text.
  • I wonder whether you could pass me the wine.
  • I wonder if you'd be kind enough to give me a lift.
and we use wonder when you are not sure you will get a positive response:
  • I was wondering if you'd like to come with me to the theatre this Saturday.
  • I was wondering whether you'd work next weekend for me. I'd really like the day off to see Real Madrid play Barca.
Other common expressions with wonder:
  • I wonder why I bother. (you don't know why you make the effort to do something because the result is so disappointing) How many times I say this in a day!
  • Who can that be at this time of night, I wonder? (when someone knocks at your door or phones you very late)
  • A: Why do you ask? B: I was just wondering. ( I have no specific reason for my question)
  • I wonder about you sometimes. (you say this after someone does something strange; it's like saying that you worry about the strange things they do)
  • He said it was an accident but I wonder.... (you have your doubts if he is telling the truth or not)

What do you wonder about? Write some examples like the ones above.





Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalia said…
Hello! I'm back from my trip to Casablanca!
I used to love this song, but after listenning to it a thousand times I hate it!!!
I only want to add another example for "wonder": you can also use it for: Wonder Woman!!! one of the few female superheroine that exist...
See you in a couple of hours!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Graham said…
Pepe:

You got all the verb forms correct. Just check the rest of the lyrics with those from the post. I have spotted some minor differences.
Graham said…
Natalia:

I agree. It is an annoying tune. What's more the lyrics are nonsense.

Bring back wonderwoman. She was fab!
Graham said…
Felix:

I think most of your translations are fine. waste time = perder tiempo. Hanging around suggests a bit more than just waiting. It means that you are in the same place without doing much. eg Groups of teenagers always hang around the square in the evening.
Hilde said…
Hi Graham!
I've liked to listening this song again!

Thank you
Graham said…
Hilde:

..LIKED LISTENING TO ... It's annoyingly catchy, isn't it?
Anonymous said…
1: sitting here
2: wasting my time
3: I'm hanging
4: I'm waiting
5: I'm driving around in my car/ I'm driving too fast/ I'm driving too far.
6: I'm waiting
7:I'm turning my head up and down/ I'm turning, turning, turning, turning, turning around.
8: I'm sitting here
9: I'm stepping around
10: I'm turning
11: I'm turning, turning, turning, turning, turning around.
Graham said…
Evening Blanca,

I've added some wonder-related tweets to this post and later I'll add a Quizlet with some examples of wonder a link to LyricsTraining.

I was really surprised that you had never heard this song before. It is a catchy tune but when you've listened to it a few times, it gets annoying.

Let's see how you have got on with the lyrics.

1: 'm sitting😍
2: 'm wasting my time😍
3: 'm hanging😍 (to hang around a place = to spend time there doing very little)
4: 'm waiting😍 (to wait FOR sb/sth)
5: I'm driving around in my car/ I'm driving too fast/ I'm driving too far.😍
6: I'm turning my head up and down/ I'm turning, turning, turning, turning, turning around.😍
7: I'm stepping around😍

Just a bit of confusion with the numbers but otherwise great.