Just as Spain is about to ban smoking ...

THE Netherlands has become the first country in Europe to overturn its smoking ban.

A new liberal government is to allow smoking, though only in small owner-run bars with no other staff.

Here one of the Dutch campaigners, from the Foundation To Save Small Bar Owners, explains why he is so pleased with the change :

We had a blanket ban on smoking brought in here in 2008. It unfairly attacked small bar owners who couldn't afford to build outdoor smoking areas.

And small bars, or pubs as we call them too, are a huge part of Dutch life. There are more than 3,000 of them.

So two smokers' rights organisations decided to join forces with the bar owners.

We felt it was a bad law.

I know of many bars that never even put their ashtrays away. But now it is official and people are delighted.

The latest polls say between 70 and 80 per cent of Dutch people are behind this partial lifting of the ban.

This is great news for small bars and the common man. Lower-class people tend to drink in these places and they were being punished.

Higher-standard pubs and restaurants don't mind being smokeless. But small bars have an important social function. Public health workers tell us smoking is bad for you. Well, the ban is very bad for your social and psychological health. It is much more complex than they tell us.

I hope that the same thing happens in the UK now.

But there are big differences between our two countries. There are lots of laws in the Netherlands but they are not enforced so strictly.

The fine here was only 300 euros for a landlord's first offence.

That is quite different from the tens of thousands of pounds you can be fined in the UK for allowing smoking.

Smoking is bad. But it is more complicated than just saying "smoking kills". A lot of lies come from the anti-smoking lobby. They have a lot of money behind them from the pharmaceutical companies who make aids to help people quit smoking.

We don't accept there is any damage from second-hand smoke. I celebrated the news about the ban being lifted by lighting a cigarette.

I vow I will only give up the day that the smoking ban is overturned completely.

Source: The Sun


Comments

Natalia said…
Hi Graham!! I am back (again)!!
I am sure you missed my smart comments over here...
Well, I don't agree at all with this overturned ban! I am looking forward to seeing this smoking ban all over the bars in Madrid!
I know that it's controversial and smokers appeal for freedom, but who deserves to be free to do whatever he wants: the smoker or the non-smocker?
See you in a bit!
Graham said…
Hi Natalia:

I am looking forward to the introduction of the ban too, even if smoking doesn't bother me that much. Given the choice, I'd rather be in a smoke-free environment.

Until now, I have had little choice. The vast majority of restaurants, pubs and clubs allow smoking on their premises. They complain that a ban will be bad for business. Let's see what happens in the New Year.
Unknown said…
The article has been a little bit complicated form me. I am from "anti-smoking lobby", and I am hoping the new year for the law that ban smoking. For me is very disgusting to enter in a restaurant and have dinner with a smoke smell.
When I hear somebody telling that bars and restaurantes will close, I smile and think that they are pessimistic.
In Australia, Italy, Irlande they have forbidden smoking and its doesn´t matter. Bars and restaurants are opening
Marta said…
I couldn't agree more with Felix: bars and restaurants will be still crowded after the Law come into effect. Just take any UE's examples as the UK.
What I like most going out in London is not to come back home smelling as an ashtray!
Graham said…
Felix:

What you should do is take a note of some of the new words from a post and write example sentences in the comments. I will correct them if needed. Look up the words that you are unsure about.

I am from THE "anti-smoking lobby", and I am LOOKING FORWARD TO the BAN ON SMOKING IN THE NEW YEAR. For me IT is REALLY DISGUSTING to ENTER A restaurant and have dinner with a SMELL OF SMOKE.
When I hear somebody SAYING that bars and restaurants will close, I smile and think that they are pessimistic.

I am looking forward to the ban too but I have read that bars and restaurants have closed down or seen a downturn in business due to the ban.
Graham said…
Marta:

... will be still crowded after the Law COMES into effect. Just take any EXAMPLE IN THE EU SUCH AS the UK.
What I like MOST ABOUT going out in London is not COMING back home SMELLING LIKE an ashtray!

Do you think the ban will work in Spain as it has done in the rest of the EU?
Anonymous said…
When the first anti tobacco law came into effect in Spain nothing happened though many people thought it was going to be bad for business. In my opinion the same will happen with the new law. Despite that I prefer non-smoking areas I think it’s is dangerous to over regulate people behaviour, nowadays many governments tends to say their citizens what is wrong and what is right at their discretion.Pepe
Graham said…
Are you a smoker, Pepe?

I also remember when they last tried to introduce a blanket ban on smoking. I think it failed because of a lack of will. It was all done half-heartedly. They might see it through this time.

Do you remember how people used to smoke on the underground platforms? It didn't take people too long to get used to that ban and I don't know anyone who switched to driving to work because of it.

But I heard on the telly someone warn that there will be an increase in "botellón" as people will desert the bars for the street. I hope it doesn't turn out to be true.

I agree that many governments TEND to TELL THEIR CITIZENS how to live their lives. It is called a "nanny-state".

Pepe - you are a good example to your classmates :-)