Unusual traffic offence

Driver fined 'for blowing his nose'

An Ayrshire businessman says he has been fined by the police for blowing his nose while driving.

Michael Mancini, from Prestwick, said he was sitting in stationary traffic with the handbrake on when he used a tissue to clean his nose.

He claimed he was waved over by four police officers and given a fixed penalty for not being in proper control of his car.

He has refused to pay the £60 fine and the case may now proceed to court.

The 39-year-old, who runs a furniture restoration business in Ayr, said: "The traffic was nose to tail in the high street and the traffic stopped and I thought that was quite a good time (to blow his nose).

"I stopped the van and put the handbrake on. I saw four police officers nearby. The traffic moved on and I was waved across by an officer.

"He said I was not in control of the vehicle."

Mr Mancini said he was "absolutely stunned" by the police action.

He added: "I said to the officer 'You're joking, you're having a laugh'.

"I've never been in trouble with the police. I was just completely gobsmacked. I honestly thought someone was going to run out with a camera."

Mr Mancini was fined on 26 October at the High Street in Ayr but has not paid the penalty.

His solicitor, Peter Lockhart, said he had written to the procurator fiscal on 18 January but a letter arrived the following day stating that if the fine was not paid the case would go to court.

Public interest

Mr Lockhart said: "In the letter I said - 'It should have been obvious to the officers what was going on and it beggars belief a ticket was issued'.

"I also wrote - 'We cannot see, given the circumstances of this case, that it is in the public interest'."

Mr Lockhart said he was waiting to hear if a court date has been set.

"We will be pleading on his (Mr Mancini's) behalf not guilty," he added.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said: "A 39-year-old man is the subject of a report to the procurator fiscal in connection with an alleged traffic offence."


Have you heard of any ridiculous fine stories? Have you ever been fined? What happened?

Spotlight on vocabulary:

"An Ayrshire businessman says he has been fined by the police for blowing his nose while driving."

If you have a cold, you need a tissue or a hanky to blow your nose (clean your nose).

to blow: to make currents of air or be moved by currents of air
  • The wind blew the window shut.
  • She made a wish as she blew out the candles on her birthday cake.
  • Please don't blow your smoke into my face.
Phrasal Verb:

to blow up: to destroy something or kill someone with a bomb
  • The terrorists intended to blow up the embassy with a car bomb.
  • They blew up the towers to make way for a new shopping centre.
Idiom:

to blow your own trumpet: to tell everyone proudly about your achievements
  • He loves to blow is own trumpet. He is always telling people how successful he is and how much money he has made.

Comments

Lola Martin said…
Hi Graham!

I´ve read this article, I can´t relieve it, it´s ridicoulus.
Answering your questions Have you heard of any ridiculous fine stories? Have you ever been fined? What happened? I think muy life style is very simple because I´ve never been finned for anything… I have my driving licence since 4 years ago and I try to be very carefull. One of ny sisters was finned to throw a stub throught the co-pilot´s Windows. She was sure that she was right and the police wrong, she thought that the driver is the person who can be finned.. At the end she had to pay it…

I´ve listened the interview, it´s quite difficult, but I undestood many things, more than I expected when I started to listen it, I had to listen it twice.

See you,
Lola
Graham said…
Hi Lola!

This all happened in a small town. There was probably a bored policeman who needed to show how powerful he was. The thing is that this man might go to court because he is refusing to pay the fine. Would you pay the fine if you were him?


I´ve read this article. I can´t believe it, it´s ridiculous.
Answering your questions Have you heard of any ridiculous fine stories? Have you ever been fined? What happened? I think mY life style is very simple because I´ve never been FINED for anything… I GOT MY DRIVING LICENCE 4 YEARS AGO/ I HAVE HAD* MY DRIVING LICENCE FOR 4 YEARS/SINCE* 2006 and I try to be very CAREFUL*. One of my sisters was FINED* FOR THROWING a CIGARETTE stub OUT OF the PASSENGER window. She was sure that she was right and the police WERE wrong, she thought that the driver is the person who SHOULD be FINED.. *IN THE END she had to pay it…

*PRESENT PERFECT + SINCE/ PAST + AGO

*USEFUL CAREFUL BEAUTIFUL SHAMEFUL ETC ADJECTIVES NEVER END IN FULL

*FINED FOR DOING SOMETHING

The police GAVE ME A FINE. RIGHT
The police FINED ME. RIGHT
The police PUT ME A FINE. WRONG

I GOT A FINE/ I WAS FINED FOR ...ING

*IN THE END / AT THE END OF ARE NOT THE SAME. DON'T YOU REMEMBER? :-) I will show the differences, if I haven't already, in a confusing words post.

Did your expect the driver to pay the fine?! Wasn't there an ashtray in the car? :-)



I´ve LISTENED TO the interview, it´s quite difficult, but I undestood many things, more than I expected when I started to LISTEN it, I had to LISTEN TO it twice.

That's great. The interview is far from easy. What's more the man who was fined has a fairly strong Scottish accent.

Remember to use the BBC pages to get further listening practice.

See you tomorrow.
Graham said…
I was right. I posted a comment on the difference between "in the end" and "at the end" on 28 Nov 2009.
Lola Martin said…
Thank you Graham!!