Always On My Mind

I was surprised the other day when a student claimed never to have heard of this song.

This popular version is from the 80s but it was originally sung by The King (Elvis Presley - he was before my time too lol!).

Which version do you prefer?

Listen to the song and complete the lyrics.






Always on my Mind

Maybe I didn't treat you

Quite as good as I should have

Maybe I didn't love you

Quite as often as I could have

Little things I should have said and done

I just never *took the time

You were always *on my mind

You were always on my mind


Maybe I didn't hold you

All those lonely, lonely times

And I guess I never told you

I'm so happy that you're mine


If I made you feel second best

Girl I'm so sorry I was blind

You were always on my mind

You were always on my mind


Idioms:

"You were always on my mind" means I was always thinking about you and I was concerned about you.

You look worried. What's on your mind?
He's not normally so forgetful. Maybe, he's got a lot on his mind.


Make up your mind means to make a decision.

I haven't made up my mind whether to go to New York or Buenos Aires for my holidays.
I wish you would make up your mind. We don't have so much time.


If you speak your mind, you say what you give your opinion about something in a direct manner.

He's certainly not afraid to speak his mind.
A. Be quiet! B. But why? I have every right to speak my mind.


If you bear something in mind, you remember a piece of information when you are making a decision or thinking about a matter

Bearing in mind how young she is, I thought she did really well.
You have to bear in mind it'll be a holiday and there will probably be a lot of traffic.


If you need to take your mind off something, you need to think about something else apart from a particular problem.

I'm going to go out tonight. I really need to take my mind off work.
He's really into football. He can take his mind off his marital problems for 90 minutes.




If you *take the time to do something, you make the effort.

I took the time to read the instructions and I was able to understand it quickly.

If you took the time to listen, you might learn something.




When did you last take a long time to make your mind up? Why?

What do you do to take your mind off things?

What's on your mind now?

Have you ever got into trouble for speaking your mind?

Comments

Lola Martin said…
Hi Graham! Do you like "La lambada"? I´ve never imagine that you´ll like this kind of music ;) I promise to you taht I´ll do some excercises this aftenoorn, I´ve put this web in my "barra de herramientas" to find it easily. See you in class :)
Graham said…
Hi Lola!

Why do you ask if I like "La lambada"? Do I look as if I like that kind of music?! lol

I WOULD NEVER IMAGINE YOU LIKE this kind of music ;) I PROMISE YOU THAT I´ll do some EXERCISES this afternoon. I´ve put this webpage in my TOOL BAR to find it easily.


I will keep to your promise and so I expect to see regular contributions to the blog. :-)

See you tomorrow!
Anonymous said…
Hi Graham! It's Alicia:
I decided to listen to this song. I've heard it before, and here are my answers:
1.- I think I took a long time to make my mind up when I finished school and my parents had to decide between going to two diferent schools, but finally we choose the one I'm studying at now.
2.- Biology is in my mind now, I have an exam on Friday!
3.- I think everyone have got into trouble for speaking their mind, because sometimes it's difficult to say the truth.
See you on Wednesday!
Alicia
Graham said…
Hi Alicia,

So you like the Pet Shop Boys but I think Elvis Presley was the original singer of this songñ

1.- I think I took a long time to make my mind up when I finished one school and my parents had to decide between going to two different schools, but finally we chose the one I'm studying at now.

2.- Biology is on my mind now, I have an exam on Friday!

3.- I think everyone has got into trouble for speaking their mind, *but sometimes it's difficult to tell the truth.

*with "because" the sentence doesn't make much sense.