Fun v Funny

What's the difference between fun and funny?

Source:  Dan Cook on Unsplash

If something is funny, it makes you laugh.
  • I never miss an episode of "Family Guy", I think it's really funny.
  • You should see a funny film if you are feeling a bit down.
  • I don't find his jokes funny.
  • My brother-in-law is so funny. (He tells jokes and says things which make me laugh)
but
  • The match last night was funny.  😡 
  • Madrid is a funny city. 😡 
In the above two examples we should use fun as sporting events and cities don't make us laugh.

Funny has another sense too. It can mean strange or unusual too.
  • What's that funny smell?
  • The milk tastes funny, doesn't it?
  • There is something funny about him. I wouldn't trust him.
Source: Scott Webb on Unsplash

If something is fun, it is entertaining or enjoyable. You like it. If someone is fun, they are good company.
  • Let's invite David to the party. He's good fun.
  • As well as learning lots of new things, our teacher's lessons are fun.
  • I had a lot of fun last weekend. Let's go out again soon.
Fun is an adjective and an uncountable noun.
  • I hope this Christmas is funner than the last one.  😡 
  • I hope this Christmas is more fun than the last one.  😍 
  • That's the most fun I've had in ages.  😍 
  • That's the funniest film I've seen in ages.  😍 
  • My teacher is very fun.  😡 
  • My teacher is good/great/a lot of fun.   😍 
  • My teacher is really/very funny.  😍 

When did you last have a lot of fun?

When did you last have a break? Was it fun?

Is learning English fun?

What is the funniest film you have seen recently?

Do you know any funny jokes?


Have a look at some examples of British Humour.

Comments