Topic

Another false friend - topic!

A topic is a subject that is discussed.
  • What was the topic of conversation between the two Prime Ministers?
  • A number of topics will be discussed at the meeting tomorrow
You often translate "topico" as "cliché" or "stereotype", depending on the context, of course.

A cliché is a comment that is very often made and is therefore not original and not interesting:

A stereotype is a fixed idea that people have about what someone or something is like, especially an idea that is wrong.
  • The stereotypical Englishman wears a bowler hat but I have never seen anyone wear one.
  • He is just the opposite of the stereotype of a mean Scotsman.

What clichés do you hate?

What are the stereotypes of different nationalites or of people from different parts of Spain?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hy Graham, It´s Laura.
Indeed...I used to confuse "topic" with "stereotype". But I learnt quickly the meaning of topic because in a school you work several topics during the course: farm animals, the Solar Sistem, the four seassons, etc.
I hate this: The stereotypical Spanishman is someone who is really lazy and rude...It´s not true!!!!
Graham said…
Hi Laura,

The Spanish always protest whenever they are called lazy.

However, having lived here for 12 years, I think there is some truth in it.


Manners mean different things to different cultures.

In my humble opinion, the Spanish aren't the politest race.

I'm not as well-mannered as I used to be.

What did we say in class today? When in Rome ...



But I learnt the meaning of "topic" quickly because at school you study several topics during the course: farm animals, the Solar System, the four seasons and so on.


Anonymous said…
Hi Graham! It's Inés
I dislike the cliché that the women with blond hair are stupid. I know a lot of blondes and they are not stupid, my best friend has blond hair and she's really smart!
I also don't like when people say that Spanish people are all day long at parties. It seems that we are lazy and drunkers, and we are not!

In Spain we have different stereotypes for the different regions. For example we say that the Catalans are really mean. Spanish people who are not from Madrid say that we are really posh and that we think that we are better than them. We also say that people from el País Vasco are brute and violent.

See you on Wednesday!
Graham said…
Hi Inés,

Have a look at this video and then try telling me that blondes, with the exception of your best friend, aren't .

http://madteachergraham2.blogspot.com.es/2008/01/miss-teen-usa-south-carolina-2007-with.html

I also don't like when people say that Spanish people are at parties all day long. It seems that we are lazy and drunkards, and we are not!


We also say that people from the Basque Country are brutish and violent.