Punctuation Marks

Source: Matt Walsh on Unsplash

Do you know how to say all the punctuation marks in English?

I was asked the other day how to say "guión -" in English.

You say hyphen:
  • Her surname has a hyphen. / She has a hyphenated surname.
  • I don't think that "seafood" has a hyphen/is hyphenated.
But if the "guión -" is in a dialogue, we call it a dash.

I was then asked how to say "guion bajo _" in English and it was another one of the occasions when I couldn't give an immediate answer. It was on the tip of my tongue. I had to look it up. We say underscore.

What about the other punctuation marks?

Comments

Mercedes Pastor said…
Hi, Graham.
I'm looking your articles and I have founded this.
Thank you, I didn't know how to tell some of this words. But I don't know how long have been learned them. It's really dificult.
Now I'm going to make dinner... (dot, dot, dot)
Bye.
Graham said…
Hi Mercedes,

How was dinner question mark

I'm LOOKING THROUGH your articles and I have FOUND THIS ONE.

Thank you; I didn't know how to SAY some of THESE words. But I don't know how long I WILL TAKE TO LEARN THEM. It's really DIFFICULT.
Now I'm going to make dinner...


Please use the archive and the labels (in the left-hand coulmn) to find older posts to read and participate in.

See you next week!