New Verbs - Bother, Regret and Dread.

Here are three new verbs that came up in class this week : bother, regret and dread.

Have a look at this extract from Cambridge Learner's Dictionary:

Verb
1 ANNOY [T] to annoy someone by trying to get their attention when they do not want to see you or talk to you
Don't bother your father when he's working.
Sorry to bother you, but could you spare any change?

2 WORRY [T] to make someone feel worried or upset
Living on my own doesn't bother me at all.

3 DO [I,T] to make the effort to do something [+ doing sth]
Don't bother making the bed - I'll do it later.
[+ to do sth] He didn't even bother to call.

4 can't be bothered INFORMAL If you can't be bothered to do something, you are too lazy or tired to do it. [+ to do sth] I can't be bothered to iron my clothes.

5 not bothered UK INFORMAL If you are not bothered about something, it is not important to you and does not worry you.
"Do you want tea or coffee?" "Either, I'm not bothered."
I'm not bothered whether I win or lose.

noun [U] trouble or problems "Are you sure you don't mind taking me?" "No, it's no bother, really!"

  
OK, do you have enough examples? As you see, there are many ways of using bother. So why don't you think of how you would use this verb and post an example here of each use. Write more than one sentence if necessary, so that the meaning is clear.


The next verb:
regret [rɪ'gret]
I
nombre 1 remordimiento: I have no regrets, no me arrepiento denada 2 pesar to my regret, (muy) a mi pesar

II
verbo transitivo 1 arrepentirse de 2 frml lamentar To regret más gerundio significa arrepentirse de haber hecho algo: I immediately regretted telling him what had happened. En seguida me arrepentí de haberle contado lo sucedido. Acompañado de infinitivo significa lamentar tener que hacer algo: I regret to tell you that... Lamento tener que decirte que... 

This is the definition from Word Reference. This is an excellent tool as it has many parts to it: translation to Spanish, definition in English, pronunciation, forums to discuss difficulties etc

Listen to this edition of Grammar Challenge and do the activities to help you understand how to use regret.


And the final dreaded verb:

These are extracts from Cambridge (Learner's and Advanced Learner's). Here you can also find dictionaries for idioms, phrasal verbs, American English and Spanish/English.

dread verb 1 [T] to feel worried or frightened about something that has not happened yet 
I'm dreading the first day at my new school. 

[+ doing sth] I dread seeing him again.
dreaded adjective [before noun] HUMOROUS I've got my dreaded cousin coming to stay!


Just three verbs but so many ways of using them. So get writing examples.

Do you bother to recycle your rubbish?
Are you bothered if you miss your favourite TV programme?
Do you have any regrets? 
Whad do you regret doing?
Are you dreading anything?

Comments

Montse said…
Hi, Graham.

- Don’t bother your sister, she is studying.
- I won’t bother you if it’s not necessary.
- I don’t bother to be late, they’ll wait for me until tomorrow.
- He never bothered to visit my mother while she was in the hospital.
- I can’t be bothered to go to supermarket now. I’ll go tomorrow.
- Do you mind if I open the window? No, it’s no bother.
- What film would you like to see? I’m not bothered.

- He regretted not attending to the meeting because it was very interesting.
- I regret to go away so early but I have to go to work.

- I dread meeting him. I don’t know what I’m going to say him.
Graham said…
Hi Montse:

Some excellent examples! These verbs are very common.

I AM NOT BOTHERED IF I'M late, they’ll wait for me until tomorrow.

I can’t be bothered to go to THE supermarket now.

He never bothered to visit my mother while she was IN HOSPITAL.